Don’t forget to vote Tuesday September 18, from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. in the lobby of Milbank High School at 1001 East Park Avenue!
What am I voting on? You will decide whether or not to approve a bond to construct a new elementary school to replace Koch Elementary School built in 1956 in Milbank.
What will the school look like and where will it be? Architectural renderings of potential plans for the school have been available for public viewing, but a site has not been selected.
What are the top concerns the new building will address?
1. Significant structural and maintenance issues, including, but not limited to, electrical and mechanical.
2. Increasing classroom size.
3. Adding space to facilitate programs that didn’t exist when Koch School was built: Special Education, Title, technology, Boost Up, OST, All-Day Every-Day Kindergarten, and Bulldog Preschool.
4. Adding larger and safer pick-up and drop-off areas and more parking.
5. Revamping the Special Education space and making the building handicap-accessible.
What other issues are on my ballot? The only issue on your ballot is the school bond resolution.
What will my ballot say?
Shall the Milbank School District 25-4, Grant and Roberts counties, South Dakota, issue its negotiable general obligation school bonds in a principal amount not exceeding $15,930,000, issued in one or more series bearing interest at such rates as may be determined by the school board, payable and maturing from one and not to exceed 30 years after the date of issuance for the purpose of financing the construction of a new elementary school facility and costs of costs of issuance?
What impact will passing the resolution have on my property taxes? For every $100,000 in assessed property value, taxes would increase by $10.83 per month or $130 per year.
What is required for the resolution to pass? A 60 percent approval rating must be obtained for the resolution to pass
What if I need a ride to the polls? The Valley Express is providing free rides via the Milbank Community Transit bus. Call 432-4866 to make your reservation.
When will the results be available? The Valley Express will publish the results Tuesday as soon as the official count is declared by the Grant County Auditor.