The Milbank Area girls tennis team kicked off its season with a solid 9-0 victory over Belgrade-Brooten-Elrosa (BBE), MN, Saturday at Cantine Courts. The locals came away with straight set wins in every singles and doubles varsity match.
“We were very pleased with our straight set victories,” noted Milbank Area head girls tennis coach Jim Dahl. “The 10 practices including indoor conditioning, weights, and technique during rainy weather definitely have our girls off to a good start.”
Earning varsity wins were seniors Cara Berkner and Rebekah Tuchscherer, juniors Paige Johnson, Jamie DeVaal, and Sarah Jarman and sophomore Jodi DeVaal. “The girls have been working hard in a variety of weather conditions and have made gains in their games,” explained Dahl. “It is very nice to have the time before school starts to prepare for and get that first match of the season completed. It was rewarding for the veteran players to see their off-season work result in a positive opener and have our less experienced girls start off with successful varsity matches.”
In junior varsity competition, Milbank Area swept their opponent 9-0. Earning double wins were Rhianna Cantine, Hallie Essington, Rhianna Welberg, Jenna Johnson, Kaitlin Schmidt and Bailey Frerichs. Also securing wins in exhibition matches were Shelby Lee and MacKenzie Michels. “Each year it is fun to watch the excitement of the middle school players as they set off into their tennis careers,” mentioned Dahl. “Our younger girls played with such a joy and love for the game.”
Milbank Area will travel to Madison Tuesday for a triangular which includes the newly formed Harrisburg team.
Following are the complete results from Saturday’s match with BBE:
- Cara Berkner defeated Sonja Carson, 6-0, 6-2;
- Paige Johnson won over Erin Rooney, 6-4, 6-3;
- Rebekah Tuchscherer edged out Morgan Meyer, 6-4, 6-3;
- Jamie DeVaal downed Jessica Raveling, 6-1, 6-4;
- Sarah Jarman defeated Ericka Greiner, 6-0 6-2;
- Jodi DeVaal swept Kim Terhaar, 6-0, 6-0.
- Berkner/Johnson defeated Rooney/Meyer, 6-0, 7-5;
- Tuchscherer/Jamie DeVaal won over Mallory Rentz/Ebba Reiners, 6-1, 6-0;
- Jarman/Jodi DeVaal downed Amanda Feldman/Chandler TeBrake, 6-1, 6-0.
Junior Varsity Singles
- Rhianna Cantine defeated Mallory Bents, 6-0;
- Halli Essington won over Ebba Reiners, 6-3;
- Rhianna Welberg downed Christine Gadbon, 6-0;
- Jenna Johnson edged out Chandler DeBrake, 6-3;
- Kaitlin Schmidt defeated Amanda Feldman, 6-1;
- Bailey Frerichs won over Ericka Greiner, 6-2.
Junior Varsity Doubles
- Cantine/Essington defeated DeBrake/Feldman, 8-0;
- Welberg/J. Johnson won over Reiners/Greiner, 6-4;
- Schmidt/Frerichs downed Gadbon/Greiner, 6-3.
Shelby Lee defeated BBE 6-3;
MacKenzie Michels won over Kylie Terhaar, 6-0;
Lee/Michels downed BBE 7-6 (7-4).