The Milbank Area girls tennis team split matches with Aberdeen Roncalli and Aberdeen Central yesterday, and split with Madison and Harrisburg in a triangular in Madison last Tuesday, August 25, to move its season record to 3-2. “After losing six seniors from last year’s squad, a 3-2 record is a fine showing for this team,” noted Milbank Area head coach Jim Dahl.
The Lady Bulldogs defeated Roncalli 7-2 and fell to Central 6-3 on a very hot and humid day at the Northern State University tennis courts yesterday. “I was very proud of how the girls kept a positive attitude throughout the matches,” mentioned Dahl. “Plenty of fluids, cool towels and ice helped ease the players discomfort level.”
Junior Paige Johnson had an outstanding day. She swept her singles and doubles matches to finish 4-0 on the day. Senior Rebekah Tuchscherer also had a good showing. She won three and narrowly missed the fourth in two sets that both went to tie breakers. Jamie DeVaal, Sarah Jarman, Jodi DeVaal and Halli Essington were also double winners on the day in the Roncalli match.
“We need to continue as a whole to improve our consistency with a great opportunity to sweep the day at the Lac Qui Parle Valley, MN, triangular Friday,” stated Dahl. Milbank will face LQPV and Marshall, MN.
Last Tuesday in Madison, Milbank Area downed Harrisburg 7-2 before falling to Madison 7-2. Johnson was the lone winner against Madison at her number three singles position. “Madison has a solid team with everyone back from last year’s squad,” said Dahl. The locals number one doubles duo of Cara Berkner and Tatiana Stemsrud pushed their Madison opponent to three sets before losing in the match tie break.
Stemsrud, Johnson, Tuchscherer, Jamie DeVaal and Jarman each secured a singles win over the newly formed Harrisburg team. “Harrisburg just started its tennis team this year and have solid number one and two players,” noted Dahl. Milbank Area also won its number two and three doubles matches.
In the junior varsity division, Jodi DeVaal, number one singles, and Essington, number three singles, won their matches over Madison. Harrisburg did not field a junior varsity team. Milbank Area knotted its JV season record at 1-1. “It was the kind of cooler and calmer weather that allowed our girls to push themselves in two back-to-back matches without worrying about heat exhaustion,” mentioned Dahl.
Following are the complete results of each match:
Milbank Area 7, Aberdeen Roncalli 2
1. Cara Berkner fell to Madison Sumner, 7-5, 6-2; 2. Tatiana Stemsrud defeated Alex Day, 6-1, 6-1; 3. Paige Johnson won over Emma Gallagher, 6-2, 6-3; 4. Rebekah Tuchscherer downed Ellie Litzen, 6-3, 6-3; 5. Jamie DeVaal defeated Kaylan Day, 7-5, 6-3; 6. Sarah Jarman won over Mariah Bradner, 6-2, 6-2.
1. Berkner/Johnson defeated Sumner/A. Day, 6-4, 7-6 (3); 2. Tuchscherer/Jamie DeVaal fell to Gallagher/Litzen, 6-2, 6-1; 3. Jarman/Jodi DeVaal won over K. Day/Bradner, 6-1, 4-6 (11-9).
Jodi DeVaal defeated Ali Mueller, 10-2; Rhianna Cantine fell to Jemini Cantalope, 10-6; Halli Essington won over Grace Klein, 10-1; Stemsrud/Cantine lost to Mueller/Klein, 10-1.
Milbank Area 3, Aberdeen Central 6
1. Cara Berkner defeated Grace Douglas, 6-3, 6-4; 2. Tatiana Stemsrud fell to Brianna Conn, 6-1, 6-0; 3. Paige Johnson won over Aishwarya Sharma, 6-1, 6-0; 4. Rebekah Tuchscherer lost to Haley Gonsor, 7-6 (4), 7-6 (3); 5. Jamie DeVaal fell to Kayley Henjum, 6-3, 6-2; 6. Sarah Jarman lost to Jessie Sommers, 6-2, 6-2.
1. Berkner/Stemsrud fell to Conn/Sommers, 6-3, 6-3; 2. Johnson/Tuchscherer defeated Sharma/Grewe, 2-6, 6-1 (10-1); 3. Jamie DeVaal/Jarman lost to Gonsor/Henjum, 6-2, 6-4.
Halli Essington fell to Hannah Johnson, 8-1; Jodi DeVaal/Cantine fell to Douglas/Opp, 8-3; Essington/Cantine lost to Opp/Johnson, 8-3.
Milbank Area 1, Madison 8
1. Cara Berkner fell to Elle Grcha, 6-1, 6-4; 2. Tatiana Stemsrud dropped to Simone Droge, 6-1, 6-1; 3. Paige Johnson defeated Sydney Swenson, 6-4, 6-2; 4. Rebekah Tuchscherer lost to Lacee Fedeler, 6-2, 6-4; 5. Jamie DeVaal fell to CC Graham, 6-1, 6-2; 6. Sarah Jarman dropped to Morgon Wrey, 6-1, 6-1.
1. Berkner/Stemsrud fell to Swenson/Droge, 6-4, 3-6 (10-6); 2. Johnson/Tuchscherer dropped to Graham/Wrey, 6-1, 6-2; 3. Jamie DeVaal/Jarman lost to Olson/Fedeler, 6-1, 6-2.
Milbank Area 7, Harrisburg 2
1. Cara Berkner fell to Sydney Rott, 6-2, 6-2; 2. Tatiana Stemsrud defeated Zoe Donelan, 6-4, 6-3; 3. Paige Johnson won over Brooke Hoxmer, 6-2, 6-1; 4. Rebekah Tuchscherer downed Cyndel VanLoh, 6-1, 6-1; 5. Jamie DeVaal defeated Hattie Meyer, 6-1, 6-1; 6. Sarah Jarman won over Rebecca Ramharst, 6-1, 6-1.
1. Berkner/Stemsrud fell to Rott/Donelan, 6-3, 6-4; 2. Johnson/Tuchscherer defeated Hoxmer/VanLoh, 6-1, 6-2; 3. Jamie DeVaal/Jarman won over Meyer/Ramharst, 6-2, 6-1.
Milbank Area Junior Varsity 7, Madison Junior Varsity 2
Junior Varsity Singles
1. Jodi DeVaal defeated Alyssa Jones, 8-2; 2. Rhianna Cantine fell to Lily Wolff, 8-1; 3. Halli Essington won over Kenzie Dixan, 8-2; 4. Rhianna Welberg dropped to Mya Maxwell, 8-3; 5. Jenna Johnson lost to Ailin Montgomery, 8-2; 6. Kaitlin Schmidt fell to Maddie Paul, 8-1.
Junior Varsity Doubles
1. Jodi DeVaal/Cantine fell to CC Graham/Jones, 8-5; 2. Essington/Welberg dropped to Dixon/Wolff, 8-3; 3. J. Johnson/Schmidt lost to Maxwell/Emma Kruger, 8-1.
Bailey Frerichs fell to Emma Kruger, 8-3; Shelby Lee dropped to Ashley Aguirre, 8-6; MacKenzie Michels lost to Ashley Aguirre, 8-2; Frerichs/Lee fell to Maddie Pauli/Montgomery, 8-3; Michels/Essington dropped to Montgomery/Wolff, 6-2.