The Milbank High School gymnastics team secured a second place finish at the Sisseton Invitational meet Saturday, January 2, despite several changes to its regular lineup.
“We have not had a full team yet this season,” mentioned head coach Amber Fraasch. Varsity regulars Natalie Stohr and Emily Dornbusch are nursing injuries while Emma VanVooren was unable to compete Saturday because of an illness.
The Lady Bulldogs finished second overall in the team standings with 123.25 points. Britton-Hecla won the event with 131.2. Rounding out the team totals were Watertown junior varsity, point total not reported; Sisseton, 119.05; Deuel, 117.15, and Aberdeen junior varsity, 95.75.
Brooke Fraasch led the team with a fifth place finish in the all-around competition. She also landed in fourth on vault, eighth on the uneven parallel bars, seventh on the balance beam and ninth on the floor exercise.
Jodi DeVaal placed seventh in the all-around competition. She also was 10th on vault, seventh on bars and sixth on beam. Also placing individually were Mackenzie Weinkauf, 10th on vault and eighth on floor, and Christina Lusk, eighth on beam.
In the junior varsity competition, Milbank placed second as a team with 95.20 points. Britton-Hecla was first with 105.10 while Sisseton placed third with 68.65. Tori Hooth was the top finisher for Milbank with third place in the all-around competition. She also earned third place on vault, second on bars, third on beam and seventh on floor.
Danica Schulte took fourth place in the all-around during the JV competition. She tied for third on vault, placed sixth on bars, fifth on beam and third on floor. Kimberly Van Sambeek landed in fifth place in the all-around competition. She also finished seventh on vault, ninth on bars, 12th on beam and fifth on floor. Taylor Dragt placed seventh in the all-around competition. She completed the day with a ninth place finish on vault, eighth on bars and 12th on beam and floor. Also competing for the JV team was Ashley Spors. She placed 10th on bars, seventh on beam and 13th on floor.
Milbank will compete at Fraasch’s home school of Melrose, MN, Thursday, January 7, in a highly competitive invitational.
Following are the complete results from the Sisseton Invitational meet:
5. Brooke Fraasch, 32.2; 7. Jodi DeVaal, 31.6; Maddie Gustafson, 29.2; Mackenzie Weinkauf, 29.05; Christina Lusk, 28.60; Maty Lightfield, 27.0.
4. Brooke Fraasch, 8.6; 10. Jodi DeVaal, 8.3; 10. Mackenzie Weinkauf, 8.3; Maddie Gustafson, 7.8; Maty Lightfield, 7.7; Christina Lusk, 7.6.
Uneven Parallel Bars
7. Jodi DeVaal, 7.2; 8. Brooke Fraasch, 7.15; Maddie Gustafson, 6.2; Mackenzie Weinkauf, 5.75; Christina Lusk, 5.35; Maty Lightfield, 4.75.
6. Jodi DeVaal, 8.2; 7. Brooke Fraasch, 7.95; 8. Christina Lusk, 7.5; Maddie Gustafson, 6.95; Maty Lightfield, 6.75; Mackenzie Weinkauf, 6.45.
8. Mackenzie Weinkauf, 8.55; 9. Brooke Fraasch, 8.5; Maddie Gustafson, 8.25; Christina Lusk, 8.15; Jodi DeVaal, 7.9; Maty Lightfield, 7.8.
3. Tori Hooth, 26.15; 4. Danica Schulte, 25.9; 5. Kimberly Van Sambeek, 22.5; 7. Taylor Dragt, 20.05.
3. Tori Hooth, 7.8; 3. Danica Schulte, 7.8; 7. Kimberly Van Sambeek, 7.4; 9. Taylor Dragt, 6.6
JV Uneven Parallel Bars
2. Tori Hooth, 5.7; 6. Danica Schulte, 4.85; 8. Taylor Dragt, 3.05; 9. Kimberly Van Sambeek, 2.95; 10. Ashley Spors, 2.0.
JV Balance Beam
3. Tori Hooth, 6.7; 5. Danica Schulte, 5.85; 7. Ashley Spors, 5.75; 12. Taylor Dragt, 5.15; 12. Kimberly Van Sambeek, 5.15.
JV Floor Exercise
3. Danica Schulte, 7.4; 5. Kimberly Van Sambeek, 7.0; 7. Tori Hooth, 5.95; 12. Taylor Dragt, 5.25; 13. Ashley Spors, 5.15.