The Milbank Area gymnastics team battled tough competition and landed in third place at the Melrose, MN, triangular Thursday, January 7. Melrose Area High School is head coach Amber Fraasch’s alma mater and a new meet added to the schedule this season. The locals continue to recover from injuries and illnesses, but also continue to maintain a positive attitude. They finished with a team total of 120.725 points. Melrose Area secured the top spot in the team standings with 148.825 while Morris Area was second with 126.60.
Leading the way for Milbank Area was junior Brooke Fraasch. She earned sixth place in the all-around competition. She also tied for seventh on vault. Junior Emma VanVooren captured seventh place in all-around while Jodi DeVaal rounded out the place winners with eighth place. Natalie Stohr placed eighth on the uneven parallel bars for her lone event of the day.
The varsity team will be back in action Saturday, January 16, at the Madison Invitational.
The Milbank Area junior varsity team also competed in Melrose and finished second in the team standings with 105.65 points. Melrose Area won the event with 127.35 points while Morris Area placed third with 93.40 points.
Leading the young Lady Bulldogs was Danica Schulte with a fifth place finish in the all-around competition. She also placed seventh on the uneven parallel bars. Tori Hooth took sixth place in the all-around competition, fourth on vault and eighth on bars. Greta Snaza landed in seventh place in the all-around competition, eighth on vault and seventh on the floor exercise.
Also placing in the top eight for Milbank were Maddie Gustafson, sixth on bars and seventh on the balance beam, and Christina Lusk, sixth on floor. Others competing for Milbank included Maty Lightfield, Kimberly Van Sambeek, Peyten Wiese, Taylor Dragt and Ashley Spors.
Following are the complete results from the Melrose Triangular:
Varsity All-Around Competition
6. Brooke Fraasch, 30.60; 7. Emma VanVooren, 30.075; 8. Jodi DeVaal, 29.525; 9. Mackenzie Weinkauf, 29.425.
7. Brooke Fraasch, 8.65; Jodi DeVaal, 8.40; Mackenzie Weinkauf, 8.35; Emma VanVooren, 8.15; Maty Lightfield, 7.85.
Varsity Uneven Parallel Bars
8. Natalie Stohr, 7.475; Brooke Fraasch, 7.35; Emma VanVooren, 7.325; Jodi DeVaal, 6.975; Mackenzie Weinkauf, 6.375.
Varsity Balance Beam
Emma VanVooren, 7.10; Mackenzie Weinkauf, 7.0; Brooke Fraasch, 6.95; Jodi DeVaal, 6.70; Christina Lusk, 5.80.
Varsity Floor Exercise
Mackenzie Weinkauf, 7.70; Brooke Fraasch, 7.65; Emma VanVooren, 7.50; Jodi DeVaal, 7.45; Maddie Gustafson, 7.40.
JV All-Around Competition
5. Danica Schulte, 26.0; 6. Tori Hooth, 25.85; 7. Greta Snaza, 24.90; 9. Kimberly Van Sambeek, 21.80.
4. Tori Hooth, 8.25; 8. Greta Snaza, 7.80; Christina Lusk, 7.70; Maddie Gustafson, 7.60; Danica Schulte, 7.50; Taylor Dragt, 6.90; Kimberly Van Sambeek, 6.80.
JV Uneven Parallel Bars
6. Maddie Gustafson, 5.70; 7. Danica Schulte, 5.30; 8. Tori Hooth, 4.90; Christina Lusk, 4.80; Maty Lightfield, 4.60; Greta Snaza, 4.40; Kimberly Van Sambeek, 4.20; Taylor Dragt, 4.10.
JV Balance Beam
7. Maddie Gustafson, 6.60; Danica Schulte, 5.90; Tori Hooth, 5.80; Maty Lightfield, 5.50; Greta Snaza, 5.30; Peyten Wiese, 4.80; Kimberly Van Sambeek, 4.20; Ashley Spors, 3.10.
JV Floor Exercise
6. Christina Lusk, 7.75; 7. Greta Snaza, 7.40; Maty Lightfield, 7.35; Danica Schulte, 7.30; Tori Hooth, 6.90; Kimberly Van Sambeek, 6.60; Peyten Wiese, 5.60; Taylor Dragt, 5.50.