Senior Natalie Stohr and junior Brooke Fraasch led the Milbank Area Lady Bulldog gymnastics team at the Madison Invitational this past weekend and punched their tickets to the State Class A Gymnastics Meet as in-season qualifiers.
Stohr earned a spot in the vault competition at the state meet after exceeding the season standard of 8.5 three times this season. Fraasch used the Madison meet to secure her berth at State in the all-around competition. She scored 31 points or more three separate times this season for an automatic entry.
Milbank Area landed in fifth place at the Madison Invite Saturday, January 16. The Lady Bulldogs scored 124.975 points, slightly lower than their best meet of the season. Madison won the event with 138.225. Chamberlain took second with 129.35 while Britton-Hecla was third with 127.45 and Wagner-Bon Homme, fourth, 126.65.
Rounding out the team totals were Parkston-Ethan-Hanson, 124.55; Deuel, 121.90; Hot Springs, 120.35; West Central, 119.475; Sisseton, 119.110; Vermillion, 114.35, and Stanley County, 104.45.
Stohr finished in fourth place on vault with an 8.75. She was 14th in the all-around competition and 13th on the uneven parallel bars. Fraasch placed 17th in all-around and tied for 12th on the balance beam. Mackenzie Weinkauf was 19th on vault and 20th in the floor exercise for the Lady Bulldogs.
In junior varsity competition in Madison, Milbank Area placed fourth with 111.95 points. Madison finished on top with 119.25 while Sioux Falls O’Gorman was second with 114.35. Sioux Falls Roosevelt placed third with 112.80. Also competing in the JV meet was Sioux Falls Lincoln, 105.30; Chamberlain, 100.85; Hot Springs, 96.35; Sioux Falls Washington, 91.85, and Stanley County, 19.55.
Greta Snaza led the young Lady Bulldogs with a fifth place finish in the all-around competition. She also placed ninth on bars. Maddie Gustafson landed in eighth place in all-around, tied for fourth on vault and tied for seventh on beam. Christina Lusk earned ninth place in the all-around competition and tied for 10th on beam. Danica Schulte placed 10th in all-around and tied for third in the floor exercise. Maty Lightfield also earned a top-10 finish by tying for eighth place on vault and beam.
Milbank Area will compete in Watertown Saturday, January 23, in a large meet featuring several of the top teams in the state.
Following are the complete results from the Madison Invitational:
Varsity All-Around Competition
14. Natalie Stohr, 31.90; 17. Brooke Fraasch, 31.80; Mackenzie Weinkauf, 30.675; Jodi DeVaal, 30.075; Emma VanVooren, 29.55; Emily Dornbusch, 27.20.
4. Natalie Stohr, 8.75; 19. Mackenzie Weinkauf, 8.275; Brooke Fraasch, 8.175; Emily Dornbusch, 7.875; Jodi DeVaal, 7.85; Emma VanVooren, 7.85.
Varsity Uneven Parallel Bars
13. Natalie Stohr, 7.85; Brooke Fraasch, 7.425; Emma VanVooren, 7.25; Jodi DeVaal, 7.025; Mackenzie Weinkauf, 6.75; Emily Dornbusch, 5.55.
Varsity Balance Beam
12. Brooke Fraasch, 7.825; Natalie Stohr, 7.25; Mackenzie Weinkauf, 7.175; Jodi DeVaal, 6.825; Emma VanVooren, 6.55; Emily Dornbusch, 6.275.
Varsity Floor Exercise
20. Mackenzie Weinkauf, 8.475; Brooke Fraasch, 8.375; Jodi DeVaal, 8.225; Natalie Stohr, 8.05; Emma VanVooren, 7.90; Emily Dornbusch, 7.50.
Junior Varsity All-Around Competition
5. Greta Snaza, 28.05; 8. Maddie Gustafson, 26.95; 9. Christina Lusk, 26.90; 10. Danica Schulte, 26.70; Tori Hooth, 26.10; Maty Lightfield, 25.25.
Junior Varsity Vault
4. Maddie Gustafson, 8.10; 8. Maty Lightfield, 8.0; Tori Hooth, 7.70; Greta Snaza, 7.60; Danica Schulte, 7.0; Christina Lusk, 6.90.
Junior Varsity Uneven Parallel Bars
9. Greta Snaza, 6.15; Christina Lusk, 5.50; Tori Hooth, 5.45; Danica Schulte, 5.10; Maddie Gustafson, 4.40; Maty Lightfield, 2.75.
Junior Varsity Balance Beam
7. Maddie Gustafson, 6.85; 8. Maty Lightfield, 6.85; 10. Christina Lusk, 6.80; Greta Snaza, 6.75; Danica Schulte, 6.45; Tori Hooth, 5.90.
Junior Varsity Floor Exercise
3. Danica Schulte, 8.15; Christina Lusk, 7.70; Maty Lightfield, 7.65; Maddie Gustafson, 7.60; Greta Snaza, 7.55; Tori Hooth, 7.05.