Milbank secured a berth to the State Class A gymnastics meet following a solid performance at the Region 1A/Northeast Conference meet Thursday, February 4, in Britton.
The Lady Bulldogs finished third in the team standings with 130.40 points. The top three teams from each region advance to compete at the state meet in the team competition set for Friday, February 12, at the Swiftel Center in Brookings.
Madison was crowned the Region 1A champion with 140.625 points and Britton-Hecla was the runner-up with 131.60. Both teams will also compete at the state meet. Rounding out the team totals were Deuel, fourth, 128.925; Sisseton, fifth, 125.075, and West Central, sixth, 122.35.
All six varsity competitors for Milbank punched their tickets to the state meet and have earned a spot in the individual competition Saturday, February 13. Natalie Stohr, Brooke Fraasch, Mackenzie Weinkauf, Emma VanVooren, and Jodi DeVaal each earned a qualifying mark in the all-around competition and Emily Dornbusch will compete on vault.
Stohr led the Lady Bulldogs with a 10th place finish in all-around. She landed in ninth place on the uneven parallel bars, 18th on the floor exercise, 19th on the balance beam, and third on vault. Brooke Fraasch finished 11th overall in the all-around competition. She secured a 8th place finish on bars and beam and was 18th on vault.
Weinkauf came in 14th place in all-around and was ninth on floor, 18th on beam, and 14th on vault. VanVooren wrapped up the day with 15th place in all-around and on bars. She also earned ninth place on beam. DeVaal finished 17th in the all-around competition and placed 14th on beam. Dornbusch rounded out the place winners with a 14th place finish on vault.
Thursday’s meet also doubled as the Northeast Conference meet in which Britton-Hecla was crowned the champion. Milbank took second with Deuel and Sisseton rounding out the conference teams.
Stohr was named conference champion on vault with a 9.025. She also placed fifth in the all-around competition and sixth on bars. Fraasch took fifth place on bars and fourth on beam and VanVooren landed in eighth on bars and fifth on beam. Also earning a conference medal were Weinkauf, fourth on floor, and DeVaal, seventh on beam.
Following are the compete results from the region/conference meet:
10. Natalie Stohr, 32.85; 11. Brooke Fraasch, 32.80; 14. Mackenzie Weinkauf, 32.05; 15. Emma VanVooren, 31.875; 17. Jodi DeVaal, 31.45; Emily Dornbusch, 29.925.
Uneven Parallel Bars
8. Brooke Fraasch, 7.90; 9. Natalie Stohr, 7.825; 15. Emma VanVooren, 7.475; Mackenzie Weinkauf, 7.125; Jodi DeVaal, 6.975; Emily Dornbusch, 6.65.
9. Mackenzie Weinkauf, 8.75; 18. Natalie Stohr, 8.40; Jodi DeVaal, 8.325; Brooke Fraasch, 8.30; Emma VanVooren, 8.10; Emily Dornbusch, 7.675.
8. Brooke Fraasch, 8.25; 9. Emma VanVooren, 8.125; 14. Jodi DeVaal, 7.95; 18. Mackenzie Weinkauf, 7.75; 19. Natalie Stohr, 7.60; Emily Dornbusch, 7.175.
3. Natalie Stohr, 9.025; 14. Emily Dornbusch, 8.425; 14. Mackenzie Weinkauf, 8.425; 18. Brooke Fraasch, 8.35; Jodi DeVaal, 8.20; Emma VanVooren, 8.175.