The Milbank Bulldogs Boys’ Tennis Team battled tough weather conditions and top teams in the state during the Rezatto Invitational April 8-9, in Aberdeen. “These were the coldest windiest conditions for tennis the coaches at the event could recall,” said head coach Jim Dahl. “Even though we did not get any match wins, I was very proud of the players on both junior varsity and varsity. They fought hard and never complained. They are certainly ready for anything the weather can throw at them the rest of the season. Other tournaments in Aberdeen that weekend were postponed, but the tennis tournament went on.” Rapid City Stevens defended its title and took home the Rezatto Cup. “This has been a great event hosted by Aberdeen Roncalli the past two seasons,” said Dahl. “It is held in honor of longtime tennis coach Judy Rezatto who passed away from cancer three years ago. It really is an important event.”
Milbank fell to Rapid City Stevens, Rapid City Central, Sioux Falls Roosevelt and Yankton each with a score of 9-0. “Stevens is very solid, and we were not able to get more than two games in any set against them,” said Dahl. “Connor VanVooren, at number five singles and number three doubles with Ethan Bohn, had a good showing against Central as did Adam Thomas and Matt Lenards at number one doubles.”
Mitch Quade played a competitive match at number three singles against SF Roosevelt. Quade and Paysen played hard in the Yankton doubles match.
The Bulldogs traveled to Watertown today, Tuesday, April 12, and will host Lac Qui Parle Valley, MN, Monday, April 18, beginning at 4:30 p.m.
Following are the complete results for both JV and Varsity from the Rezatto Invitational:
Milbank 0, Rapid City Stevens 9
1. Adam Thomas fell to Andy Guymon, 10-0; 2. Matt Lenards lost to Taylor Schultz, 10-1; 3. Mitch Quade dropped to Ben Anderson, 10-2; 4. Max McCulloch fell to Jackson Ellis, 10-1; 5. Connor VanVooren lost to Ethan Reuter, 10-0; 6. Ethan Bohn dropped to Michael Tang, 10-2. Exhibition match – Ethan Paysen fell to Leo Dykstra, 10-0.
1. Thomas/Lenards fell to Guymon/Schultz, 10-0; 2. Quade/McCulloch lost to Anderson/Ellis, 10-1; 3. VanVooren/Bohn dropped to Reuter/Jarod Keene, 10-0.
Milbank 0, Rapid City Central 9
1. Adam Thomas fell to Michael Rabidoux, 8-0; 2. Matt Lenards lost to D’Kota Segrist, 8-0; 3. Mitch Quade dropped to Dawson Segrist, 8-2; 4. Max McCulloch fell to Jamison Phingston, 8-2; 5. Connor VanVooren fell to Charlie Parry, 8-4; 6. Ethan Bohn dropped to Emanuel Dosch, 8-3.
1. Thomas/Lenards fell to Segrist/Segrist, 8-4; 2. Quade/McCulloch lost to Rabidoux/Phingston, 8-0; 3. VanVooren/Bohn dropped to Parry/Dosch, 8-4.
Milbank 0, Sioux Falls Roosevelt 9
1. Adam Thomas dropped to Logan Barr, 10-0; 2. Matt Lenards fell to Cooper McKenzie, 10-1; 3. Mitch Quade lost to Karsten Grove, 10-4; 4. Ethan Bohn dropped to Landon May, 10-0; 5. Connor VanVooren fell to Brady Barr, 10-1; 6. Ethan Paysen lost to Garret Ludens, 10-0.
1. Thomas/Lenards fell to L. Barr/B. Barr, 10-3; 2. Quade/Paysen lost to McKenzie/Grove, 10-3; 3. Bohn/VanVooren dropped to May/Ludens, 10-0.
Milbank 0, Yankton 9
1. Adam Thomas fell to Hunter Rockne, 10-1; 2. Matt Lenards lost to Nathan List, 10-1; 3. Mitch Quade dropped to Tanner Dykstra, 10-6; 4. Ethan Bohn fell to Sam Mooney, 10-0; 5. Connor VanVooren lost to Michael Frick, 10-6; 6. Ethan Paysen dropped to Isaac Klemish, 10-0.
1. Thomas/Lenards fell to Rockne/Mooney, 10-3; 2. Quade/Paysen lost to Dykstra/Ben Mooney, 10-4; 3. VanVooren/Bohn dropped to List/Frick, 10-0.
JUNIOR VARSITY – Singles
James Weber defeated Nash Barnett, Roncalli, 6-1; James Weber won over Jonah Kosh, Roncalli, 6-0; James Weber lost to Anuman Sharma, Aberdeen Central, 7-6 (1) in the championship.
Zach Aker fell to Anuman Sharma, AC, 6-3; Zach Aker lost to Lincoln Wilkinson, AC, 6-2; Zach Aker dropped to Alex Tennant, AC, 7-5.
David Basilio defeated Robert Conn, AC, 7-5; David Basilio fell to Isaac Kimisch, Yankton, 6-1; Noah Pillatzki won over Jackson Crist, SF Roosevelt, by default; Noah Pillatzki fell to Sam Lingor, Roncalli, 6-3; Caden Ebsen defeated Shaih Kutter, SF Roosevelt, 6-4; Caden Ebsen fell to Spencer Titus, Roncalli, 6-2; Keaton Hagen fell to Spencer Titus, Roncalli, 6-1; Keaton Hagen defeated Shiah Kutter, SF Roosevelt, 6-4; Keaton Hagen lost to Zach Gonsor, AC, 6-1.
David Basilio won over Caden Ebsen, 6-2; Noah Pillatzki won over Grey Imbery, Roncalli, 6-3; David Basilio downed Noah Pillatzki, 6-3 in the championship.
JUNIOR VARSITY – Doubles
Ethan Paysen/Noah Pillatzki fell to RC Central, 8-3; Paysen/Pillatzki lost to Roncalli, 8-1; David Basilio/Keaton Hagen fell to Aberdeen Central, 8-3; Basilio/Hagen defeated Roncalli, 8-6; Basilio/Hagen downed Roncalli #2, 8-4 for the consolation championship of the North Division.
Caden Ebsen/James Weber fell to Roncalli, 8-1; Ebsen/Weber won over AC, 8-6; Ebsen/Weber dropped to SF Roosevelt, 8-1.
Ethan Paysen/Noah Pillatzki defeated Roncalli, 9-8 (3).
Zach Aker/Nathan Loutsch fell to RC Central, 8-1; Aker/Loutsch dropped to AC, 8-2.