The Milbank Area girls cross country team captured first place in the team standings at the Roe Granger Twilight Meet in Aberdeen Friday, September 2, with 16 points.
“The Roe Granger was another great meet for both Milbank Area teams,” expressed Bulldog head coach Eric Townsend. “I was pretty pleased with both of our team showings considering we were missing a couple of our top varsity runners. The atmosphere at this meet was unlike any other meet we have run. The meet started at 7 p.m. and the varsity races were under the lights. It was a neat experience for the both the runners and fans. Overall, I thought both teams made some progress, competed hard and ran pretty well.”
Taylor Thue led the Bulldogs in the girls 4K race with a fifth place finish. Amaya Street followed closely in seventh place while Jatana Grajczyk finished ninth overall. “Jatana ran very well,” noted Townsend. “She ran much better than the first meet of the season and has developed into one of the top runners on the girls’ team.”
Tanner Bock set the pace for the boy’s team with an eighth place finish. His younger brother, Zippy, finished 11th overall with Kody Johnson and Alex Farrell close behind at 12th and 13th, respectively. “Tanner has improved a lot from a year ago and has developed into one of the top runners in the region. His summer mileage really shows in the early part of the season.”
Milbank will host the Hardee’s Invitational Saturday, September 10, at Pine Hills Golf Course. Races will begin at 9:30 a.m. and will conclude with the kids Pup run around 12 noon. “This meet will feature over 15 school from three states and over 300 runners,” said Townsend. “Our sponsor, Hardee’s will serve breakfast and lunch sandwiches throughout the meet.”
Following are the complete results from the Roe Granger Twilight Meet:
Varsity Girls 4K Race
5. Taylor Thue, 17:14.00; 7. Amaya Street, 18:08.00; 9. Jatana Grajczyk, 18:40.00; 14. Maddie Gustafson, 19:48.00; 15. Shea Hooth, 20:05.00; 16. Christina Lusk, 20:22.00; 21. Sophia Seffrood, 23:39.00.
Varsity Boys 5K Race
8. Tanner Bock, 19:56.00; 11. Zippy Bock, 20:12.00; 12. Kody Johnson, 20:55.00; 13. Alex Farrell, 20:57.00.
Junior Varsity Girls
5. Maiah Brown, 13:33.00; 23. Brooke Fraasch, 16:28.00.
Junior Varsity Boys
1. Nick Batchelor, 15:22.00; 4. Ben Harstad, 16:09.00; 7. Max McCulloch, 16:24.00; 8. Caden Bjordahl, 16:55.00; 10. Nathan Loutsch, 17:00.00; 13. Isaac Fischer, 17:16.00; 14. Jack Sandvig, 17:29.00; 15. Jadus Medicine Crow, 17:31.00; 20. Landon Brown, 17:41.00; 26. JD Lusk, 19:46.00.
Middle School Girls
19. Savanna Osowski, 9:32.00; 38. Isabelle Nowick, 10:59.00.
Middle School Boys
8. Isaac Johnson, 8:22.00.