Lady Bulldogs Collect Wins During Day One Of State Tennis Meet
Milbank Area Tennis October 7, 2016 Staff Writer 0
The Milbank Lady Bulldogs collected several wins during the opening day of the South Dakota high school state tennis tournament in Rapid City Thursday, October 6.
In the first round of singles play, Sarah Jarman won over her Aberdeen Roncalli opponent while Halli Essington received a bye. The two were both defeated in the second round of championship singles play, but remain alive and will battle opponents in the second round of consolation play Friday, October 7.
In the opening round of doubles play, Jodi DeVaal and Jamie DeVaal, at number two doubles, won over their opponent from Spearfish while Jarman and Essington, number three doubles, earned an easy win over Rapid City Christian. Both pairs fell during their round two championship match, and all three doubles teams from Milbank fell in their round two consolation match Friday and have been eliminated from further play.
Milbank standings in 19th place in the team standings after one full day of competition. All six of Milbank’s players will fight to stay alive in the round two consolation matches Friday.
Following are the results from the opening day of play:
Singles Championship Round One 1. Cassidy Hedblom, Huron, over Paige Johnson, 1-6, 6-4, 10-6
2. Emma Gallagher, Aberdeen Roncalli, over Tatiana Stemsrud, 6-4, 3-6, 11-9
3. Zoe Donelan, Harrisburg, over Jodi DeVaal, 6-2, 6-1
4. Lachelle Opp, Aberdeen Central, over Jamie DeVaal, 6-4, 4-6, 10-2
5. Sarah Jarman over Mariah Brandner, Aberdeen Roncalli, 6-3, 2-6, 10-6
6. Halli Essington, Bye
Singles Championship Round Two
5. Morgan Wray, Madison, over Sarah Jarman, 7-5, 6-0
6. Madeline Nelson, SF O’Gorman, over Halli Essington, 6-1, 2-6, 10-6
Doubles Championship Round One
1. Hedblom-Harvey, Huron, over Johnson-Stemsrud, 1-6, 6-4, 10-8
2. DeVaal-DeVaal over Rolando-McDaniel, Spearfish, 6-1, 6-2
3. Jarman-Essington over Schlager-Beckhoff, RC Christian, 6-1, 6-1
Doubles Championship Round Two
2. Vanderwelff-Forney, RC Stevens, over DeVaal-DeVaal, 6-0, 6-1
3. Graham-Maxwell, Madison, over Jarman-Essington, 6-3, 6-3
Doubles Consolation Round Two
1. Sumner-Gallagher, Aberdeen Roncalli, over Johnson-Stemsrud, 10-5
2. Smith-Sunvold, SF Roosevelt, over DeVaal-DeVaal, 10-3
3. Heles-Dalhoff, Vermillion, over Jarman-Essington, 11-9
Photo of Paige Johnson courtesy of South Dakota Public Broadcasting.
No comments so far.
Be first to leave comment below.