Weinkauf Vaults Into 18th Place
Milbank Area Gymnastics December 15, 2016 Staff Writer 0
The Milbank Lady Bulldog gymnastics team competed in the Hub City Invitational December 10. They finished ninth in the team standings with 125.80 points. “We had a much better performance in our second meet of the season,” stated head coach Amber Fraasch. “Our score of 125.80 was in line with what we hoped to start the season scoring.”
The Hub City Invite consists of 11 Class AA schools and three Class A schools. “With 70 competitors in each event and most of the top AA teams in the state competing, placing in the top 20 is very tough,” Fraasch said.
Mackenzie Weinkauf placed 18th in the vault competition with the team’s top score of 8.475. Jodi DeVaal, Weinkauf, and Brooke Fraasch each recorded personal best scores on the uneven parallel bars. Brooke’s 7.925 earned her 22nd place and top score for the Lady Bulldogs.
DeVaal had a no-fall balance beam routine Saturday and finished in 20th place with a score of 8.175. “Beam gave us troubles at the first meet,” stated Coach Fraasch. “We were able to clean up a few falls which resulted in better scores. If this beam team hits all their routines in the same meet, they could challenge a school record. That’s a goal we set this season.”
In the floor exercise, Weinkauf led the team with a 28th place finish and a score of 8.575. She also led the team in the all-around competition with a 32.10, which is a state qualifying score and her personal best. She finished 19th overall. DeVaal also hit a personal best all-around score with a 31.85 which earned her 21st place.
Milbank also competed in the Britton-Hecla Holiday meet December 13, and landed in third place. They again improved their team score with a 127.60.
Weinkauf led the Lady Bulldogs by placing fourth in the all-around competition with a 32.65. If she earns one more qualifying score of 32.0 or better, she punches her ticket to the state Class A gymnastics meet in February. She also hit a qualifying mark on floor with a 8.60,- her first of the season. She finished eighth in the event. She also placed fifth on vault and fifth on beam.
Brooke Fraasch placed sixth in the all-around competition with a 32.45, her first state qualifying all-around score of the season. She also placed seventh on floor, fourth on bars, and third on vault. Her scores of 8.65 on floor and 8.6 on vault were her first state qualifying scores of the season in those events.
Also placing at the Britton-Hecla meet were Tori Hooth, fifth on vault, and Dani Yamaura, third on beam.
Milbank was scheduled to host the Lewis Family Drug Invitational meet Saturday, December 17, at the Milbank Armory. Due to the weather, the meet has been cancelled. A triangular meet will possibly take place Monday, December 19. Watch the Valley Express for more details.
Complete results for the Milbank gymnasts from both meets:
Hub City Invitational
Team scores – Watertown, 142.725; Mitchell, 141.95; Pierre, 133.60; Aberdeen Central, 133.275; Rapid City Stevens, 132.00; Britton-Hecla, 129.375; Sioux Falls O’Gorman, 128.60; Sioux Falls Lincoln, 126.875; Milbank, 125.80; Sioux Falls Roosevelt, 125.50; Sioux Falls Washington, 121.95; Huron, 121.425; Rapid City Central, 119.525; Sisseton, 113.60; Warner, 27.775.
19. Mackenzie Weinkauf, 32.10; 21. Jodi DeVaal, 31.85; 27. Brooke Fraasch, 30.825.
18. Mackenzie Weinkauf, 8.475; 31. Emily Dornbusch, 8.275; 37. Brooke Fraasch, 8.20; 48. Tori Hooth, 8.075; 55. Jodi DeVaal, 7.825.
20. Jodi DeVaal, 8.175; 29. Christina Lusk, 7.775; 42. Mackenzie Weinkauf, 7.475; 49. Emily Dornbusch, 6.875; 56. Brooke Fraasch, 6.50.
Uneven Parallel Bars
22. Brooke Fraasch, 7.925; 31. Mackenzie Weinkauf, 7.575; 38. Jodi DeVaal, 7.30; 55. Maddie Gustafson, 6.15; 65. Greta Snaza, 5.425.
28. Mackenzie Weinkauf, 8.575; 29. Jodi DeVaal, 8.55; 41. Brooke Fraasch, 8.20; 41. Emily Dornbusch, 8.20; 57. Christina Lusk, 7.85.
Britton-Hecla Holiday Meet
Team scores – Deuel, 134.95; Britton-Hecla, 131.20; Milbank, 127.60; Watertown JV, 126.65; Sisseton, 116.40; Aberdeen Central JV, 99.65.
4. Mackenzie Weinkauf, 32.65; 6. Brooke Fraasch, 32.45; Jodi DeVaal, 29.40; Maddie Gustafson, 28.10.
7. Brooke Fraasch, 8.65; 8. Mackenzie Weinkauf, 8.60; Danica Schulte, 7.80; Jodi DeVaal, 7.70; Christina Lusk, 7.60; Maddie Gustafson, 7.60.
Uneven Parallel Bars
4. Brooke Fraasch, 8.00; Mackenzie Weinkauf, 7.35; Greta Snaza, 7.20; Jodi DeVaal, 7.15; Maddie Gustafson, 6.35; Madison Mathews, 5.05.
3. Brooke Fraasch, 8.60; 5. Mackenzie Weinkauf, 8.55; 5. Tori Hooth, 8.55; Jodi DeVaal, 8.35; Maddie Gustafson, 8.20; Greta Snaza, 8.00.
3. Dani Yamaura, 8.20; 5. Mackenzie Weinkauf, 8.15; Christina Lusk, 7.55; Brooke Fraasch, 7.20; Jodi DeVaal, 6.20; Maddie Gustafson, 5.95.
Jodi DeVaal and Brooke Fraasch, right, practice for upcoming gymnastics meets.
No comments so far.
Be first to leave comment below.