The Milbank Lady Bulldogs had a solid showing at the Sisseton Invitational gymnastics meet on January 7. Several personal best scores were added to the team’s total.
The highlight of the meet was Mackenzie Weinkauf securing her spot in the State Class A gymnastics meet. She earned her third qualifying mark in the all-around competition and vault. She also met the qualifying standards on the balance beam and floor exercise. Milbank head gymnastics coach Amber Fraasch said, “Mackenzie works hard at practice every day and has been a consistent and valuable performer for the team this year.” Weinkauf led the team with a fourth place finish in all-around, fifth on vault and floor, and sixth on beam.
Senior Brooke Fraasch hit her second state qualifying score in the all-around competition with a 32.05 – good for seventh place. She earned a personal best score of 8.05 on the uneven parallel bars and placed eighth in the event. Brooke finished the meet with eighth on vault and tenth in the floor exercise.
Tori Hooth led the Lady Bulldogs with a fifth place finish on the balance beam. Her personal best score of 8.55 was her first state qualifying mark of the season.
Several other gymnasts also secured personal best scores. Greta Snaza had a personal best score of 30.10 in the all-around competition as well as her highest score of 8.1 on vault. Maddie Gustafson posted her best score of 6.85 on the bars as did Madison Mathews with a 6.8. Christina Lusk placed seventh on the balance beam with her personal best of an 8.1.
Milbank took third place overall in the team standings with 127.45 points. Deuel won the meet with 137.55 and Britton-Hecla finished second at 134.7.
“We had a solid meet and are now seeing more consistent routines,” stated Fraasch. “We struggled a bit with execution and to complete our event requirements on floor. Although our vaults were good overall, we will be looking for more repulsion from the table and cleaner lines. Our final event was the balance beam. This has been a hit and miss event for us so far this season. We have been working to change this and the extra time on the beam is starting to pay off. We hit our routines with three no-fall routines, resulting in three personal best scores.”
Milbank will compete in the Madison Invitational Saturday, January 14. They will also compete in Watertown on Saturday, January 21.
Complete results for the varsity team from the Sisseton Invitational:
Team scores – Deuel, 137.55; Britton-Hecla, 134.7; Milbank, 127.45; Watertown JV, 125; Sisseton, 117.65; Big Stone Area, 104.5; Aberdeen JV, 101.5; Warner, 29.2.
4. Mackenzie Weinkauf, 33.10; 7. Brooke Fraasch, 32.05; 12. Greta Snaza, 30.1; 19. Maddie Gustafson, 28.2; 22. Christina Lusk, 27.45.
5. Mackenzie Weinkauf, 8.65; 8. Brooke Fraasch, 8.5; 20. Tori Hooth, 8.1; 20. Greta Snaza, 8.1; 24. Maddie Gustafson, 8.0; 32. Christina Lusk, 7.5.
Uneven Parallel Bars
8. Brooke Fraasch, 8.05; 18. Mackenzie Weinkauf, 7.4; 20. Greta Snaza, 7.2; 22. Maddie Gustafson, 6.85; 23. Madison Mathews, 6,8; 36. Christina Lusk, 5.1.
5. Tori Hooth, 8.55; 6. Mackenzie Weinkauf, 8.4; 7. Christina Lusk, 7.8; 15. Brooke Fraasch, 7.55; 23. Greta Snaza, 7.15; 30. Maddie Gustafson, 6.4.
5. Mackenzie Weinkauf, 8.65; 10. Brooke Fraasch, 7.95; 15. Danica Schulte, 7.75; 17. Greta Snaza, 7.65; 24. Maddie Gustafson, 6.95; 30. Christina Lusk, 6.75.