The MHS boys tennis team met tough competition during the Rezatto Rumble April 7-8, in Aberdeen. The Dawgs were 1-3 during the two-day event. Milbank suffered two losses Friday. The locals fell 9-0 to Rapid City Stevens and 8-1 to Sioux Falls Christian. They came back Saturday with a 5-4 win over Rapid City Central before falling 9-0 to Sioux Falls Roosevelt.
“Roosevelt and Stevens are very strong teams,” commented Bulldog head coach Jim Dahl. “Even though they blanked us 9-0, I was pleased with how our guys handled it and played every point as best they could and looked to improve their games.”
Milbank won four of the six singles matches against RC Central. Moritz Wortmann, Marcos Basilio, Jose Chen, and Ethan Bohn were the singles victors.
“After those wins, we were in a very good position going into doubles,” Dahl said. “The teams were all in close battles during doubles play, so we needed every match we could get.” David Basilio and Caden Ebsen, at number two doubles, won five of their last six set to lead us to the match win and second team victory of the season.”
Ebsen was the lone winner from Milbank in the match with SF Christian. “He did a nice job of finishing strong,” added Dahl. “Two of our doubles teams had their chances early on but could not maintain momentum. We struggled too much returning serves and keeping the ball away from their net player. We look forward to playing them again in mid-May when they come to Milbank.”
Milbank hosts Watertown Tuesday, April 11, at Cantine Courts. The match starts at 4 p.m.
Complete results for Milbank from the Rezatto Rumble in Aberdeen:
Milbank 0, Rapid City Stevens 9
1. Connor VanVooren fell to Andy Guymon, 10-0; 2. Moritz Wortmann lost to Jamison Pfingston, 10-1; 3. David Basilio was downed by Ethan Reuter, 10-0; 4. Marcos Basilio fell to Michael Tang, 10-1; 5. Caden Ebsen lost to Jackson Ellis, 10-0; 6. Ethan Bohn faltered to Dawson Segrist, 10-2. Exhibition match – Jose Chen fell to Griffin White, 8-2.
1. VanVooren/Wortmann fell to Guymon/Ellis, 10-1; 2. Basilio/Basilio lost to Reuter/Tang, 10-0; 3. Ebsen/Bohn dropped to Pfingston/Segrist, 10-2.
Milbank 1, Sioux Falls Christian 8
1. Connor VanVooren fell to Connor McElroy, 10-3; 2. Moritz Wortmann lost to Logan Aukes, 10-4; 3. David Basilio dropped to Andrew Unruh, 11-9; 4. Marcos Basilio fell to Slava Zhulin, 10-3; 5. Caden Ebsen defeated Austin Prins, 11-9; 6. Ethan Bohn fell to Dylan VanRuler, 11-10 (4).
1. VanVooren/Wortmann fell to McElroy/Aukes, 10-4; 2. Basilio/Basilio lost to Unruh/Zhulin, 10-2; 3. Ebsen/Bohn dropped to Prins/Bird, 10-4.
Milbank 5, Rapid City Central 4
1. Connor VanVooren fell to Charlie Perry, 10-1; 2. Moritz Wortmann defeated Jared Hannon, 10-2; 3. David Basilio lost to Andrew O’Connell, 10-5; 4. Marcos Basilio won over Gabe Knudson, 2-4 injury default; 5. Jose Chen downed Pacey Nelsen, 10-7; 6. Ethan Bohn defeated Tyler Eberle, 11-10 (5).
1. VanVooren/Wortmann fell to Perry/O’Connell, 10-5; 2. David Basilio/Ebsen defeated Hannon/Knudson, 10-5; 3. Chen/Bohn dropped to Nelsen/Eberle, 11-9.
Milbank 0, Sioux Falls Roosevelt 9
1. Connor VanVooren fell to Spencer Smith, 10-1; 2. Moritz Wortmann lost to Aiden Nguyen, 10-1; 3. David Basilio dropped to Landon May, 10-3; 4. Marcos Basilio fell to Brady Barr, 10-1; 5. Jose Chen lost to Garit Ludens, 10-0; 6. Ethan Bohn dropped to Karsten Grove, 10-1.
1. VanVooren/Wortmann fell to Smith/Nguyen, 10-0; 2. David Basilio/Ebsen lost to May/Ludens, 10-1; 3. Chen/Bohn dropped to Barr/Cooper McKenzie, 10-3.
Photo: Moritz Wortmann