Was it a taping for a Food Network show? Or the Grant County 4-H Special Foods Contest?
Each cook had a 48-inch space to prepare their dish and 90 minutes to complete it. They were also required to prepare a centerpiece and place setting – all as the judge watched and asked questions. Contestants were critiqued on nutritional knowledge, food quality, technique, aesthetics, and hospitality.
No one was chopped, but William Karels, Cailey Sime, and Hope Karels earned purple ribbons. Casside Seezs won a blue ribbon. The cooks are eligible to compete at the South Dakota State Fair in Huron from August 31, through September 4.
The winning recipes:
Stuffed Patriotic Pork Chops
William Karels, Junior
4 (3/4 inch) pork chops
1 cup dry wheat bread crumbs
1 teaspoon white sugar
½ teaspoon garlic pepper
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons melted butter
1 small yellow onion, chopped
4 tablespoons chopped spinach
1 cup beef broth
3 tablespoons olive oil
1. Make slits in pork chop to form a pocket in the fat end. Combine bread crumbs, sugar, garlic pepper, salt, melted butter, onions, and spinach; mix well. Stuff chops generously and skewer shut with toothpicks.
2. Heat olive oil and sear pork chops on both side at a high heat. Put pork chops in a casserole and pour beef broth over. Bake in 350-degree oven for 20 minutes or until internal temperature of stuffing is 150 degrees. Check the oven often. Remove toothpicks and pour pan juice over the pork chops before serving. Garnish with a spinach leaf.
Taste of Italy Chicken Bacon Fettuccine
Cailey Sime, Junior
8 oz. fettuccine noodles, uncooked
1 ½ cup cooked chicken, diced or cut into strips
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 ¼ cup cream, divided
2 cups chicken broth
½ cup crumbled cooked bacon
2 ½ cups raw broccoli
¼ teaspoon Sicilian blend
¼ teaspoon Tuscany blend
¼ teaspoon parmesan blend
1. Place pasta noodles, broccoli, chicken, garlic, Sicilian blend, Tuscany blend, parmesan blend, 1 cup cream and broth in an 11-inch sauté pan. Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook 25 minutes stirring frequently, until pasta is tender. Salt and pepper to taste. Stir in bacon and the remaining ¼ cup cream cheese, garnish with parsley.
Hawaiian Cheesecake Salad
Casside Seezs, junior
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese
1 (3.4 oz.) package instant cheesecake pudding, unprepared
1 cup International Delight French Vanilla creamer
1 pound strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 can mandarin oranges, drained
1 (20 oz.) can pineapple tidbits, drained
3 kiwis, peeled and cut into half moons
2 mangoes, cut into bit sized chunks
1 banana, cut into coins.
1. In an 8-cup measuring cup using an electric mixer, whip cream cheese until it becomes smooth. It may bind up in the beaters, but continue as is to loosen up. Add dry pudding mix. Beat until well combined.
2. With the mixer on low, slowly add the creamer to the cream cheese mixture. Add 1 tablespoon at a time and then mix until it becomes a smooth mixture and creamer is well combined, repeat until all creamer has been added. Whip until smooth.
3. In a large bowl, combine strawberries, oranges, pineapple, kiwi, and mango. Add the cheesecake mixture to the fruit. Gently fold cheesecake mixture into fruit. In a small bowl, combine the banana coins in lemon juice. Toss until well coated, drain excess lemon juice. Gently fold the banana into the cheesecake salad. Chill until ready to serve or serve immediately.
Hope Karels, Beginner
1 pound (16 oz.) lean ground beef
1 teaspoon garlic pepper
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups spaghetti sauce
1 cup cottage cheese
6 uncooked lasagna noodles (broken to proper size)
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1. Brown hamburger, drain and put in bowl. Add garlic pepper and salt. Then add spaghetti sauce. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with a wire whisk and then add cottage cheese. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Put nonstick spray in an 8×8 pan. Layer the dish in the following order: hamburger/sauce mixture, 3 noodles, egg/cottage cheese mixture, repeat the first three steps one more time. Top with mozzarella cheese.
3. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until temperature of 165 degrees. Garnish with parsley. Makes 6 servings.