Peace Lutheran Church of Milbank and Saint John’s Lutheran Church of Mazeppa Township (rural Summit) will be hosting their second annual joint worship on Sunday, August 20th at 10am at the Abbey of the Hills. Everyone is welcome to attend. After the worship service, a potluck picnic and use of the lawn and other facilities for an afternoon of fun. A bounce-house will also be available. Attendees are also encouraged to bring lawn games and catch-and-release fishing supplies for the afternoon.
Peace and Saint John’s are both member-congregations of the Wisconsin Ev. Lutheran Synod (WELS) and have jointly shared pastors since the early 1990’s. Nathan Zastrow currently serves as the pastor. Saint John’s congregation was founded in 1888 by the Minnesota Synod (which later merged with the Wisconsin, Michigan, and Nebraska Synods to form modern WELS) to serve German Lutherans living in Mazeppa Township. Peace congregation was founded in 1983 as a mission congregation of the WELS, which was looking to serve those living in the Milbank area. “Both congregations have always shared the real “tie that binds” the saints together – a common faith in Jesus and mutual understanding of the Scriptures,” noted Pastor Zastrow.