The Grant County Christian Service Council is coordinating with Feeding South Dakota to hold a food giveaway in Milbank on Wednesday, June 24. The giveaway will be held in the main parking lot of Milbank High School from 3 – 4 p.m. This giveaway will include two boxes per car — one filled with fresh fruits and vegetables and one with non-perishables, dairy products will also be included. Anyone in need is welcome; there are no income requirements.
According to Brenda Maas, co-chair of the event with LeAnn Kuper, the giveaway will be conducted in much the same way as the food giveaways held in April and the May.
Here’s how it works:
1. The giveaway is a drive-thru-only event. No contact.
2. The giveaway is held in the main parking lot of MHS. No parking is allowed in the main parking lot of the high school prior to the giveaway due to the school lunch pick up there. Parking is allowed in the east parking lot.
3. The food will already be boxed by volunteers at Feeding South Dakota. There is a limit of two boxes per family. No exceptions. Need to pick up a set of boxes for more than yourself and one other family? First pick up your boxes, exit the parking lot, and go to the back of the line to receive another set of boxes.
4. Enter the parking lot from East Seventh Avenue and wait for driving directions.
5. Once you are in line and close to the Feeding South Dakota truck, open your trunk or back liftgate. As you pull up to the truck, a volunteer will place the box in your vehicle and close the door. Continue to the exit. If you are driving a pickup without a bed cover, a volunteer will place the box in the back. If your pickup box is covered and has a back liftgate that needs to be opened, please have it open. The volunteer will close it before you exit.
6. If you need the box placed in the back seat of your vehicle, continue through the line to the row of tables south of the truck. You will be responsible for picking up your box. Have space ready so extra time isn’t required to make room in your vehicle.
7. Unable to attend the giveaway? Make arrangements for someone to pick up a set of boxes for you.
8. Physically unable to attend? Call the ICAP office at 605.432.6571 prior to Wednesday to have your boxes delivered. Although the courthouse is locked, you can also call Val at 605.432.6571 to make arrangements to pick up a box from the food pantry.
Need resources other than food? The Grant County Christian Service Council will try to assist you. Contact Val at 605.432.6571 to coordinate with the council.
The Grant County Christian Service Council welcomes your donation. The majority of GCCSC funding comes from donations at the Thrift Store. Churches, businesses, and individuals also contribute. Checks can be mailed to the Grant County Christian Service Council at 210 E. 5th Ave. in Milbank.