The MHS boys’ tennis team gained valuable experience during South Dakota’s Class A State Tennis Tournament in Sioux Falls on Monday, May 17. Milbank took a young and inexperienced team into the state tournament but they worked hard and enjoyed the competition. The Dawgs did not win any matches on Monday and were eliminated from advanced play on Tuesday.
Results for the Milbank Bulldogs:
Singles Matches 1. Mason Riley fell to Gray Imbery, Aberdeen Roncalli, in the opening round, 6-1, 6-1; lost to Tyler Plank of Lennox, 10-1.
2. Benett Street was defeated by Blake Judson, Pierre, 6-0, 6-1 in the first round; lost to Tyler Loecker, Mitchell, 10-0.
3. Joe Schulte fell to Aiden Patrick, Mitchell, 6-3, 6-0 in the opening round; lost to Andrew Dobbs, Rapid City Christian, 10-2.
4. Leyton Raffety was defeated by Spencer Kelly, Pierre, 6-3, 6-0 in the first round; lost to Jensen Damberg, Spearfish, 10-3.
5. Isaac Perez lost to Brock Bacon, Spearfish, 6-1, 6-2 in the opening round; fell to Hay Klu Moo Taw, Huron, 10-2.
6. Gregory Grabow lost to Lay Kpaw Wah, Huron, 6-0, 6-0 in the first round; was defeated by Henry Beckloff, Rapid City Christian, 10-1. Doubles Matches 1. Riley/Raffety fell to Greni/Schneller, Rapid City Christian, 6-0, 6-1; were defeated by Hanson/Judson, Pierre, 10-4.
2. Street/Schulte lost to Patrick/Thelen, Mitchell, 6-1, 7-6 (2); fell to Isburg/Damberg, Spearfish, 10-2.
3. Perez/Grabow were defeated by Bacon/Becker, Spearfish, 6-0, 6-3; fell to Hancock/Beckloff, Rapid City Christian, 10-2.
Photo – Leyton Raffety – courtesy of South Dakota Public Broadcasting