The Milbank Fire and Rescue Department was dispatched at approximately 5:30 a.m. on Thursday, March 2, to apartments at 204 Eastman Street in Milbank. Fire Chief David Giessen said, “Upon arrival, firefighters discovered smoke coming from a lower-floor apartment.”
According to Chief Giessen, after entering the apartment, firefighters found a pot of beans on the stove and the stove was left on. Firefighters opened windows and used fans to clear out the smoke. The tenant was not home. A child from the apartment above had notified authorities.