The Milbank Fire and Rescue Department was dispatched at 11:24 a.m. Wednesday, July 6, to 1209 South Dakota Street, behind Grant-Roberts Rural Water, for a severed natural gas line.
Milbank Fire Chief Kevin Schuelke reported gas was spewing from a cut in the line by a trencher. “Firefighters pulled the trencher back and monitored the leaking gas until NWPS could repair the line.”
The department was called Monday, July 4, at 9:55 p.m. just prior to the fireworks display at Lake Farley. “We were dispatched for mutual aid to the Big Stone Fire Department for water tankers,” said Schuelke. A barn at the Lawrence Schmieg residence, approximately nine miles south of Big Stone City, was fully engulfed. The Big Stone, Milbank, and Nassau, MN, departments responded.
At 2:26 p.m. on Sunday, July 3, Milbank Fire and Rescue was sent to a grass ditch fire at 14995 479th Ave in Milbank. “The quick action of Pat DeFea and a garden hose kept the fire from spreading,” said Schuelke.