Storm Rips Roof Off Al’s Body Shop and Starts Computer Fire
Local News December 28, 2016 Staff Writer 0
The Milbank Fire Department responded to two calls on Monday, December 26. The department was dispatched at 6 a.m. to power lines down in the area of Highway 15 and Milbank Avenue. “A portion of the roof from the Al’s Body Shop building was torn off by the wind and hit a power pole which left wires laying along Highway 15,” stated Fire Chief Kevin Schuelke. “We blocked off the area until Otter Tail Power Company could make the repair.”
According to Justin Mathiason, co-owner of the business, no damage was sustained inside the building. “The high winds blew the roof insulation around, so we had some clean up to do, but no damage was done to anything else inside. Not what I expected to hear the day after Christmas.” A temporary roof was put into place Tuesday. “Once we get nicer weather, we will replace the patch job with a permanent roof repair.”
The department was also dispatched, at 11:32 a.m., to 15377 479th Avenue, the home of Denny and Margaret Skoog. “Fire broke out near the family’s computer,” stated Schuelke. “The couple threw water on the flames and vacated the home.” It is believed the fire was caused by a faulty connection of the power cord which was being run by an external generator that was powering the home. “We used ventilation fans to remove the smoke in the home.”
No comments so far.
Be first to leave comment below.