The Milbank Fire and Rescue Department was dispatched to 47356 Highway 20 on Monday, February 17 at 3:38 a.m. According to Kevin Schuelke Fire Chief, “Upon arrival, firefighters found a steel barn fully engulfed in flames. The barn was home to goats and chickens, many of which perished in the fire.” Josh and Sara Anderson reside on the property located southwest of Milbank and northeast of Stockholm. The property is owned by Joel and Myrna Fuller. The Revillo Fire Department was also dispatched to provide mutual aid for water tanker supply. Firefighters remained on the scene until approximately 7 a.m.
At 4:10 p.m., on the same afternoon, the Milbank Fire and Rescue squad was also dispatched to a chimney fire at 204 S. 6th Street in Milbank. The property is the Michelle Johnson residence. According to Fire Chief Schuelke, “Heat detection equipment indicated excessive heat or burning three-fourths of the way up the stand-alone chimney. Due to the height of the chimney, the ladder truck was deployed to extinguish the source and cool the chimney.” The house sustained no damage.