The Milbank Fire and Rescue Department was dispatched to 47975 142nd Street, about seven miles north of Milbank, to the residence of John Fonder on Tuesday, January 25, at 10:39 p.m. Milbank Fire Chief Kevin Schuelke said, “A negative 24-degree temp (outside) is always challenging for firefighters and equipment.”
According to Schuelke, when the firefighters arrived, they encountered a chimney fire with flames showing. He said, “Firefighters extinguished, cooled, and used ventilation fans to remove the smoke. Firefighters remained on the scene approximately 2.5 hours.”
Assistant Fire Chief David Giesen reported, “The Fonder family was at home at the time of the blaze, but the fire was contained in the chimney and caused minimal damage to the house.” The Fonders were able to return to their home.