Milbank Fire Chief David Giesen reported the Milbank Fire and Rescue team was dispatched to two fires on Monday, October 31. At 11 a.m., the team was called to a grass fire in a pasture rented by Aaron Holscher at 153rd Street and 470th Avenue. Chief Giesen said, “Winds pushed the fire through the pasture to the northeast. However, firefighters were able to stop it from spreading into a nearby field of bean stubble.”
“The fire is believed to have started in the ditch by a discarded cigarette,” Chief Giesen said. Firefighters were on the scene for about an hour and a half. The Stockholm Fire Department assisted.
“At approximately 1:45 p.m., we were also called to 144th Street and 476th Avenue for a baler fire,” Chief Giesen said. “Mike Dockter was baling corn stalks when a bearing in the baler failed and started the belting on fire.” The fire was kept to a minimum and contained in the belting. No action was required by the fire department, but they remained on the scene for about 15 minutes to complete an assessment.