At 10:48 a.m. on Saturday, July 8, the Milbank Fire Department was dispatched to a grease fire in the kitchen at the Millstone Restaurant. Upon arrival, firefighters learned that officer Adam Leins of the Milbank Police Department had put out the flames with a dry chemical extinguisher. The fire had started in one of the oil fryers. Firemen ventilated the building to disperse the smoke and extinguished additional hot spots in the fryer. Chief Giesen stated, “No major damage. occurred. MFD was on the scene for approximately 45 minutes.” The chief also acknowledged the assistance of the Milbank PD and Grant-Roberts Ambulance.
Milbank firefighters were dispatched to a grass fire at 47892 150th Street at 4:37 p.m. on July 3. The team arrived to find a grass fire in a ditch that was started by fireworks. David Giesen, Milbank’s fire chief, commented, “I was thankful for the rain that kept the fire from spreading too fast.” Firefighters were on the scene for approximately 15 minutes.