The Milbank Fire and Rescue Department responded to a call at 7:43 a.m. on Monday, February 5. The call came in from First Bank & Trust on Highway 12 at 215 W. 4th Avenue. Assistant Fire Chief Justin Mathiason reported that when firefighters arrived, they determined a furnace had malfunctioned and had created copious amounts of smoke throughout the building.
Mathiason said, “Firefighters remained on the scene for about one hour to ventilate the building. The building sustained no other damage.” The bank was able to open for its regular business day at 10 a.m.